Skip to content

As Mobility Grows, So Grows Healthcare Mobility

August 9, 2012

Mobile health (mHealth) allows patient consultation and monitoring, among other benefits, and are growing in popularity as the use of smartphones and tablets expands, healthcare industry analysts GlobalData says in a new report.

The latest research* states that the global mHealth market was worth $1.2 billion in 2011, but will jump in value to reach $11.8 billion by 2018, climbing at an impressive compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 39%.

mHealth involves the use of mobile applications and devices to monitor a patient’s health remotely and is streaking ahead as the fastest growing segment within the telehealth and telemedicine market.

GlobalData attributes the substantial predicted growth to the widespread use of mobile phones that allow faster, easier and broader access to healthcare services. Products such as the iPhone, as well as Android and Blackberry platform devices all offer ‘apps’ that cover a wide spectrum of healthcare topics – from fitness and nutrition, to diagnostic imaging.

The majority of the mHealth market is taken up by software and services, accounting for 80% of the total. The two other sections of the industry are hardware, which makes up 12% of the market, and network and connectivity, which occupies the remaining 8%.

The software and services portion of the industry is driven by rapidly emerging health apps designed to fill key gaps in the mobile healthcare market.

Approximately 70% of available healthcare apps are consumer focused, while the remaining 30% are designed for medical professionals – the latter of which are typically more sophisticated and can offer clinicians access to patient information and the ability to conduct further analysis such as creating 3D anatomical models.

Advertisements

From → Uncategorized

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: